Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rudoph The Red-Nosed Reindeer Family Fun Night

One of the things I love the most about the blog world is that it is such a rich source of inspiration and ideas.  I love reading about how different families' projects and traditions.  Somewhere along the way, I discovered the idea of turning family movie night into a "family fun night", complete with things like a craft, a dinner, a snack or a game that are tied to the movie.  We have done similar themed nights based on a particular country or region, but it had never occurred to me to build the theme around a favourite film or book.  I was hooked, and have been waiting for the right opportunity to hold one with my family.  Now that the holiday season is upon us,  I am so excited to have the chance to host a "Rudoph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" themed family fun night.  I remember watching the classic movie with my family as a child, and that makes watching it with the next generation even more special. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" next airs on our partners at CBC on December 15th from 8-9 pm, so I thought I would share some of my ideas for our family fun night now so that you have time to get ready and host your own.

In addition to watching the movie, and playing "Pin the Nose on the Reindeer" (more on that soon), we'll be snacking on homemade Reindeer Snack Mix out of our own customized, recycled "Rudolph" Reindeer Treat Boxes.  Both of these projects are things that even the littlest hands can help to create.

To make a Reindeer Treat Box, here's what you will need:
  • an empty, medium sized cardboard box (we used a Baby Mum-Mums box, but a small cereal box would work great too)
  • tan or black cardstock
  • brown paint
  • a red pom-pom
  • googlie eyes
  • liquid glue
  • scissors
  • ribbon (optional)
And here is what you need to do:

1. Cut the top flaps off the box.  Paint the box brown (alternately, you could cover it in brown packing paper). 


2. Cut antlers out of tan cardstock.  Glue onto front of box.  Glue googlie eyes and red pom-pom nose onto the front of the box to make Rudoph's face:


3. If you would like, line your box with a large zip lock bag, fill it with Reindeer Snack Mix, and enjoy.  Alternately, you can punch a hole near the top portion of each side of the box.  Thread a red ribbon through the the holes, and knot on the insides, and you have a perfect gift "bag" to fill with goodies to share with your friends. 

To make the Reindeer Snack Mix, you will need:
  • 4 cups unsweetened popped corn cereal (or air popped popcorn)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we prefer things less sweet, so I typically use only 1/4 to 1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 cup fruit juice sweetened dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, nuts, or sunflower seeds (optional)
  • icing sugar (optional)
  • salt (optional)
and here's what you need to do:
1. Line a baking pan with waxed paper.  In a large bowl, stir together cereal, 1/4 cup of dried cranberries, and nuts/seeds, if using.

2. Place chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup, and microwave on low for approximately 1 minute, or until melted, stirring half way through.

3. Drizzle melted chocolate over cereal mixture, and stir to evenly coat.  Pour into prepared baking pan.  If desired, sprinkle with salt and a light dusting of icing sugar. 


4. Transfer cereal mixture to fridge and allow to chill for 30 minutes, until cooled and set.  Add additional 1/4 cup dried cranberries to mixture, and transfer to an airtight container. 

5. Enjoy!



Stay tuned for lots more holiday fun over the next few weeks, and be sure to share your family traditions too.

3 comments:

  1. Just returning the visit from the Thrifty Thursday Linky Party! I never thought of turning our family movie nights into a family fun night...what a great idea! What a great way to build memories with your family! I love watching all the Christmas classics with my tot and preschooler. They will love eating this reindeer snack while we watch Rudolph. I'm your newest follower on GFC!

    Lisa
    http://www.crisscrossapplesaucelearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable activity! I wanted to let you know that I am really enjoying your blog, which is why I am passing along a blogging award to you ;) http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2011/12/my-first-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea- and turned out beautiful! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete