Monday, May 7, 2012

Busy Having So Much Fun! Our Trip to See Richard Scary's Busytown Busy

Richard Scarry was one of my favourite authors when I was a young child.  I still have vivid memories of lying in bed, pouring over the imaginative drawings and learning about the exploits of all of residents of Busytown.  "Busy, Busy Town" was my reference book for preparing for things like the trips to the dentist and the doctor, and I happily spent hours searching the pages of his books for appearances by Lowly and his apple car. 

I have continued to share Richard Scarry's books with the children in my life, and they seem as captivated by the stories and illustrations as I was many years ago.  C is also a fan of "Busytown Mysteries", which is part of the KidsCBC lineup, and mom appreciates the valuable lessons that the show teaches.

When I heard that Koba Entertainment was bringing the live production of "Richard Scarry's Busytown Busy" to Calgary, I knew that it would be a perfect show for us to attend together. When we entered the theatre, the stage was already set with fantastic backdrops that looked exactly like the buildings pictured in the Busytown books. C., age 25 months, was captivated even before the show began.  To say that he was excited when Huckle first appeared on stage would be an understatement.  He squealed out-loud, and stood on his seat to get a better view:


He was transfixed by the singing, and happily waved his arms over his head in time to the music.  He excitedly pointed out the characters to us when they arrived on stage, and even called for Lowly Worm to come back.  

The show is perfectly suited to the under 5 set, and is enjoyable for adults too.  Instead of relying on flashy special effects and light shows, "Richard Scarry's Busytown Busy" focuses on the story lines and the songs, and cleverly incorporates a number of timeless lessons including the importance of helping our friends, the value of each individual's unique talents, and the steps children can take to be safe. 


Hula hooping, fruit cart spilling, and other on stage antics inject humour into the show.  Plenty of  audience participation is also encouraged throughout the show, giving even squirmy toddlers the chance to get up, dance, and sing. We all loved shouting "Busytown Busy" when Officer Murphy asked the audience  “How busy is he?”

A., age 8, seemed to enjoy the show almost as much as his little brother.  While the production is targeted towards toddlers and preschoolers, I think it was special for him to revisit the stories that he loved so much when he was younger.  

The current tour of "Busytown Busy" is over, but the show is still part of Koba's theatrical lineup.  Keep your eyes on the website for more information about when the show may be coming to a stage near you.  It is sure to be a wonderful experience for you and your tot.

No comments:

Post a Comment