Friday, June 8, 2012

Stay at Home Moms Need a Network

Are you a SAHM - Stay at Home Mom?

Time Magazine recently posted an article that reported that SAHM's experienced more sadness, anger and depression than working moms.  Really?  Why?  Moms get to stay home with their kids, they are free to come and go as they please, they get hugs and kisses all day from little people that they adore, and they can watch tv all day... right??  WRONG! 

Speaking from experience, being a SAHM is one of the toughest things I have ever done.  With my first child, I had a great support network.  I bonded with a few women from my pre-natal group and we planned lots of social activities which became a life line for me.  Because our kids were the same age, we all had the same questions, the same milestones to celebrate and the same need to be understood and supported.

Fast forward a couple years and add twins...!  The first year of my twins' life was a big ol' haze for me.  Somehow, I managed to feed them, diaper them, bathe them and most importantly, love them.  I also managed to do the same for my 2 year old toddler.  But, what I didn't have was that same support group.  Having three kids 2 and under brought many challenges - one of which was the challenge of actually getting out of the house to see other people!  By the end of that first year, I was experiencing some mild PPD (post-partum depression) and was not loving being at home with my kids.  Then I found TTMAC (Twins, Triplets and More Association of Calgary), an association dedicated to the well-being and support of mothers of multiples.  I felt like I'd hit the motherlode!  These women GOT ME!  They understood what I was going through and we bonded fast and furiously.  They became my network, my group of people that I went to for advice, encouragement, support and friendship.

I suspect that this is why SAHMs reported more sadness and depression in the above study - they often lose their network.  They no longer see work colleagues, they may be too tired for girl's night or perhaps their friends don't have children so they feel a disconnect.

The most important thing a SAHM can do for herself is to find a new network or find a way to stay connected to current ones. 

This is why momstown tugs at my heart so much.  It provides a perfect network for Canadian moms.  If you can get yourself out the door, you can attend one of our many programs and events.  If not, you can tap into the message board or our facebook page for a virtual coffee date.  Our members tell us over and over that this is one of the best things about momstown - the connection they get with other moms.

So if you've found a network as a SAHM, way to go!  If not, then seek out a group in your community. 

momstown is a great option and we offer a trial membership so you can check it out for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Appreciating the time and effort you put
    into your blog and detailed information you present.
    It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed information.

    Fantastic read! I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.


    Feel free to surf to my blog ... Online Home Career

    ReplyDelete