Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Calgary momstown Mama Moment - Finding balance

This  month's Mama Moment is all about finding balance! Thanks to Jennifer House for contributing this  month.


The life of a mother is full of multi-tasking! Whether you stay at home with the kids full time, work out of the house full time, or a bit of both, it’s tough to keep track of schedules and to-do lists. I have a 6-year-old boy, 3-year-old girl, am pregnant with baby #3, and run a part-time private practice as a dietitian. I’m honored that Erica has asked me to blog for momstown, on how I manage it all! Here are some other tips that have helped me out in the past:

1. Meal plan and keep food organized. This is something I preach to all of my clients - it will save you time, money, health and that all-day stress of “what’s for dinner…..what’s for dinner?!”

2. Outsource tasks that are time consuming and that you don’t enjoy. For the home, I have time and stress relief once I hired a house cleaner to come every other week. Whether this gives me more time (to work to pay for the cleaner!), play with the kids or catch a nap, it’s helped so much. For work, instead of figuring out computer technology and detailed website stuff, I hire a Virtual Assistant. I found her through ODesk.com and she charges $10/hour and can complete tasks waaaay faster than I can.

3. Take time for yourself. I honestly feel no guilt about sitting my daughter in front of the tv for an hour while I nap in the afternoon. I’m pregnant, I deserve it J My kids have also been fine to join in or play around me during at-home workouts. Exercise makes you feel better about yourself and gives you more energy!

4. Say no when needed. Rather than piling on tasks until you finally crack – learn to say no. Or “Not right now, but I can help you next week instead.” During the first trimester of pregnancy, I got a lot of practice at this!

5. Having the ability to create my own job and hours has helped tremendously. I don’ t have to start work too early, and can be there to pick my son up from after school. I realize these are luxuries, but there are more and more flexible jobs out there that can work around your schedule, rather than the other way around. Be creative!

   
Now I will be challenging my time-management skills once our third child arrives! 

What do you do to keep organized at home or work?







                                                                                           - Jennifer House, First Step Nutrition 

No comments:

Post a Comment