Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Road to Mental Heath and Wellbeing

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions and my strength has been a bit of a roller coaster.  Depression is such a silent and sneaky pain.  It isn't easy to open myself up and allow others to peer into my life.  But I hope that in doing so I can create some awareness for depression and encourage others to seek help if needed.
The next step in this Journey I am on is all about awareness.  Awareness of what is working and what is not. I have been doing a full assessment on my life, holding tight to those things and people that support and help me, and letting go of those that don't.  Keeping things that make my life easier and rewarding, and letting go of things that cause life to be complicated and chaotic (with the exception of my very complicated and chaotic kids that is!).
Sometimes I go through life feeling like it is driving me. I whine and moan because life has handed me lemons, because things go wrong, I blame some poor guy named Murphy, and I generally feel helpless and out of control.
But, I have a choice.  I can choose to keep things simple and positive.  I can choose to be in the driver's seat.
If I find that I complain about having no time, then I need to start dumping things off my plate to find the time.
If I am feeling out of control, then I need to find things that give me back that control.
I know that sometimes life does indeed hand me stuff that I would much rather give back, stuff that I can't control.  But even then, I can choose to shut down, or to face it with as much courage and strength as I can muster.
So I have made some small changes in my life.
I have chosen to make conscious choices about what and who I allow in my life.  I want to surround myself with people that love and support me.  This isn't always an easy decision, but it is necessary for my mental health and my happiness.  I also want to support those people that are in my life.  If they are going through tough times, I won't turn and run, I won't judge them (this is a tough one I know!), and I won't kick them while they are down.  Instead, I'll offer them a hand, a word of encouragement, a prayer or even just a smile.
I am also going to be a bit easier on myself. I will strive to always do my best, fully accepting that 'my best' changes from day to day. Some days, my best will be incredible, others, not so much..!

This is why I love momstown so much.  It is the very reason we exist - to support moms; to be a safe and caring place for women; to let moms know that they aren't alone, that they aren't the only one going through 'it'.
I hope that you are finding momstown to be the same for you. I encourage you to reach out to me or another member and find that support, that friendship, that smile and those words of encouragement.




There are lots of amazing momstown mamas.  Pour yourself a tea, grab a comfy chair and read some of these incredible stories. Then choose to have a fantastic day.
Pregnancy And Depression... Why Am I Not Excited
Are You There Mom?
Miscarriage - Lasting Effects
The New Normal


No comments:

Post a Comment