...feeling low in energy?... check...difficulty sleeping... check
...feeling blue?...check
...feeling no interest in things?... check
...feeling of worthlessness?... check
...difficult concentrating or making decisions?... check, check.
Crap. How did this happen?
I consider myself to be a strong woman. Tough as nails. And happy. So how can this be right?
Stress.
Holmes and Rahe developed the Life Events Scale, which seeks to measure life changes by assigning a stress ranking to them. On this scale, life events (death of a spouse, divorce, retirement) are ranked from most stressful to least.
I have had a lot of 'life events' in the past few months: separation, new job, new residence, and more. When I completed the test, I received a score in the top category, which says there is an 80% probability that I will develop a stress related illness.
Which brings me back to the questions at the beginning of this blog. Those questions are taken from the first part of the Depression Screening Test on the Calgary Counselling Centre's website.
Today is National Depression Screening Day.
Did you know?...
- 46% of Albertans will experience depression personally
- One out of five Calgarians develop an emotional challenge that if left untreated can lead to serious problems.
- 49% of those who suffer from depression never seek help.
Considering how rarely we talk about depression, these statistics are staggering!
Unlike a more tangible disease like cancer, osteoporosis or diabetes, depression is hard to support because it is difficult to understand. I was definitely hesitant to talk about it because I didn't want to be seen as weak. However, it is because we don't really talk about it that we are in this situation. I have been feeling like this for a few months. But when asked "how are you doing?", I politely nod, smile and say "good!" in my most convincing voice possible.
Unfortunately, depression isn't something that you can just snap out of or get over with positive thought. Can you imagine telling your friend that has been diagnosed with diabetes to "snap out of it"?
In the past 2 weeks, I reached my limit and have finally reached out for help.
Now, I really am feeling "good". I still have down days, but I am feeling much more productive and more hopeful.
If you think you might be suffering from depression, do yourself a favour and take the test. It is free, confidential and only takes a few minutes.
This article wouldn't be complete without thanking my friends - both old and new - for their support and help. As you might predict, momstown has provided me with a lot of this support. It reminds me of what our founder says: "They say it takes a village... at momstown, we say it takes a town!".
I'm grateful for those in my "town".
Well done! Keep it up Marcy!
ReplyDeleteWell say and done.
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely a strong woman. And you made yourself even stronger by recognizing that you needed help. Can't wait to see you in November!
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you for reaching out, Marcy - don't forget to lean on all of the people who are there to help and support you. Can't wait until November!
ReplyDeleteGrateful for you, Marcy! You are so brave for reaching out and sharing. Lots of love, and look forward to seeing you again soon.
ReplyDeletejust...thanks..
ReplyDelete