Last week momstown Calgary took a special field trip to Butterfield Acres. I grew up in a smaller town where agriculture was still one of the primary industries, and I remember spending many wonderful afternoons at friends' farms. Whether it was riding a horse, holding a baby chick, or playing hide and seek in a barn, it somehow always managed to be both an exciting and a peaceful experience. I enjoy living in a big city now, with access to all sorts of wonderful museums, attractions, and opportunities, but I think a part of my heart will always be in the country. I feel like my body relaxes and I breath more deeply when I leave the city limits.
Maybe that's why I enjoyed our trip to Butterfield Acres so much. I got to re-experience a little piece of my own childhood, and to see the joy on the faces of our momstown kids as they discovered all the fun of a farm too. We visited the animals:
Drove our cars:
and climbed on tractors:
We even went on a tractor ride. Get ready...
because here we go!
Some of our braver moms and kids even tried milking a goat:
We finished the day by having a picnic lunch, and reading The Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown, and Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton. Both received the ultimate stamp of kid approval: a request to read them again and again.


No comments:
Post a Comment